Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Proportional Symbol Mixed With Chloropleth Mapping


In this map I used proportional symbol mapping to show the number of people age 18-21 and chloropleth mapping to show the proportion of white persons out of the total population. In the proportional mapping section I used a minimum value of 1.40. I also put a black mask around the circles to help them stand out better. The directions told me to use the ‘proportional symbols’ symbology (and I did use this), but next time I think I would prefer to use the ‘graduated symbols symbology. This is because you can control the minimum and the maximum dot size. In my map I would only control the minimum size and the maximum size followed it. In my map I think that the minimum dot size is too small and the maximum dot size is about right, but I cannot control both. Aside from this issue I chose to use a horizontal legend format because it fit better in the available space than a vertical format. I chose the grey colors for the chloropleth mapping because they contrasted well with the green circles used in the proportional symbol mapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment